Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:01:35 -0400
From: address@hidden
To: Jessica Thomale <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

I thought I would share my experience with linux. I have not done much with
Solaris so I can't compare.

I built a Dual PII 450 linux computer about 2 years ago now running Linux
Mandrake 6.0. This machine ingest all of the NOAAPORT feed
via LDM and works as a web server and produces thousands of WXP gif images
per day. It has been rock solid, and would have an uptime of
well over a year, except that I have moved it a few times.

In the last few weeks I have ordered and put together (2)  Dual PIII 800
MHZ systems running Linux Mandrake 7.1, I have elected to
use the tried and true BX chipset on the motherboard. Again I have had no
problems, very stable with heavy load in the 6-10 range at times.
Below I've cut and pasted my P.O for the hardware I used to build the 2
computers. This gives you an idea of pricing, again for 2 systems.
Prices may be a little cheaper since these are a few weeks old.

Dual PIII 800MHZ SCSI, 512MB ECC RAM, 36GB HD

Description              Item Number     Qty       Unit Price     Ext Price
--------------           --------------  ----           ------------
------------
ASUS P2BDS SLOT-1 BX     MB122             2       413.95         827.90
Intel PIII 800E 256K Retail   CP100             4       264.95
1059.80
256MB ECC 168-Pin, PC100 ME421             4       317.95         1271.80
Intel EthrExp Pro/100 PCI     NE010             2       42.95
85.90
BTC 52x EIDE CD-ROM      CD100             2       36.95          73.90
AGP Matrox G400 16MB          VC200             2       85.95
171.90
Super 701-A, ATX Mid Tower    CS104             2       77.95
155.90
92mm CASE FAX w/Y-Cable  CSF01             2       9.00           18.00
IBM Ultrastar 36.4GB 10K RPM   HD209            2       649.95
1299.90

     --------------
                                                   $4965.00

                    Robert Mullenax

                    gov>                          cc:     address@hidden

                    Sent by:                      bcc:

                    owner-ldm-users@unidat        Subject:     Re: NOAAPort
data server x86 configuration
                    a.ucar.edu

                    10/10/2000 02:19 PM

We have a Gateway PII 400 Mhz that is running the LDM, McIDAS, and
GEMPAK decoders, and serves as a workstation and web server.  We
are running Solaris.  I would definitely recommend Solaris over Linux
for ease of administration, and compatibility.  Informal observations
here indicate that while Linux is faster than Solaris at light loads,
with top-end hardware and heavy loads Solaris wins out.  The only problem
with Solaris is that the hardware support is poor.  You really have to look
at the hardware compatibility list thoroughly to make sure each component
is compatible.  Dell claims their PowerEdge servers have been tested with
Solaris, with the addition of an updated Adpatec SCSI driver.

Here's what I would recommend as a minimum:

Dual 600Mhz PIII's (Dell's minimum PowerEdge 2400 has dual 733's)
512MB RAM
18GB-10K rpm Ultra 160 SCSI --OS and software
36GB-10K rpm Ultra 160 SCSI--data (if you want some archival ability)

36GB Ultra 160 disks are down to around $600 now.

Quite frankly, while we have been happy with the Gateway, we find that our
Sun UltraSparc 440 clone performs much better under heavy load than the
Intel
machine, and our next one will be a Sparc.

I am sure you'll get a lot of opposing views on the Solaris vs. Linux
issue..
but I have tried both and Solaris handily wins out overall.

Hope this helps.
Robert Mullenax

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/