RE: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:06:48 +0100
From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
To: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>,
     Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
Subject: RE: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

Gilbert, I think you are completely dismissing Solaris/Intel
here, which people frequently do..and Sun doesn't help matters
much.  BTW Sun hardware prices have comes way down as well.. an EDU
promo Ultra 10 can be had for $2595(440Mhz Sparc 256MB RAM) and has
great application performance, even though raw CPU benchmarks,
aren't that impressive.

Actually, you were one I thinking of, when I said I thought
there would be opposing opinions on Solaris! But the fact is
you can take that same $4,000 Linux machine (with judicious
hardware choices) and run Solaris Intel. Solaris 7 was much improved
over 2.6, and 8 has the potential to be even better than 7.

Well, anyway, at least Jessica has a choice, there are too many
who would like to see Windows and Linux as the only OS choices..
period..which is sad.
Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/