Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:23:18 +0000 (GMT)
From: address@hidden
To: Rick Grubin <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

I believe that this tendency for Linux to bog under heavy loads
was/is a known thing.  I lost the URL but there was Linux
backer that did some NFS, CPU, i/o, etc test of Solaris x86,
different Linux kernels, and the BSD's (Free and Net).  His tests
confirmed that the Linux distribution did indeed "bog" down
under heavy load.  There was discussion that newer Linux kernels
were expected to fix the problem, and maybe that has happened
with some of the latest development kernels.  His results
did indicate what many people thought, that the BSD's were
the fastest of the bunch, although Solaris as expected did well
with heavy loads.

Heavy loads is a relative term. We run the LDM, the McIDAS and GEMPAK
decoders, another set of GEMPAK dcgrib decoder that decodes data ftp'ed
from NCEP, serve one McIDAS or GEMPAK session, and hosts a web page that
produces McIDAS/GEMPAK inages with CGI scripts..all on one Solaris
x86 machine(we also have a Sun Ultra 10 clone at another location that
does the same thing).

Robert Mullenax