Re: LDM 5.1.2. RedHat 7 Install

Hi Justin,

I think I have fixed the bug in pqing.  At this time we are
making several changes to pqing in anticipation of receiving
the radar data, and I'll be including that change in the
next distribution, version 5.1.3.

I was planning to wait until 5.1.3 had gone through more
testing before telling you about the change, but then I
realized that, other than with the data file you sent me, I
have no way to test the change - we don't get AFOS.  (Out of
curiosity, why and how are you getting AFOS? - I understood
it to be gone.)  So, I thought I might as well tell you the
change now so that you could make it to your pqing and do
some testing on your own.

There are a few lines in pqing.c that say:

        else if (feedtype & NMC)
        {
                setTheScanner(scan_wmo_binary);
        }
        else if (feedtype == AFOS)
        {
                prod_stats = afos_stats;
                setTheScanner(scan_afos);
        }

Change the first conditional as follows:

        else if (feedtype & (NMC2 || NMC3))

This will allow the flow of control to fall through to the
second conditional, the "feedtype == AFOS" test.  This
worked on the sample data.

But, there are two other things I discovered.  First, pqing
must be invoked as 'afos'.  (If you look in the bin
directory you will see that the command 'afos' is a link to
pqing.)  So, instead of

exec    "pqing -x -l - -l /awips_log -b 9600 -p none -f AFOS
/dev/ttyS0"

like you have in your ldmd.conf, try

exec    "afos -x -l - -l /awips_log -b 9600 -p none -f AFOS
/dev/ttyS0"

(It's confusing - you would think that '-f AFOS' would do
the same thing, but it doesn't.  Bad documentation, at the
least.)

Second, until I inserted a carriage return at the beginning
of the data file, I got the "garbage encountered while
searching for header" message.  But, maybe that doesn't
happen when you're reading right from the device.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Like I said, I can't vouch for
the code correction 100% since I have no way to test it.
So, I highly recommend you test this change in some way
before using "seriously."  (We don't support operations!)

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307