Re: 20010122: LDM help

Agustin Diaz wrote:

> > > There are no ldmadmin logs to look at.  Would they be located in
> > > /usr/local/ldm/logs?
> >
> > Yes.  It's most important to get the logging working first, as that's
> > where you'll get messages regarding other problems.
> >
> > Did you follow the preinstallation instructions at
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html?  In
> > particular, the section on "Configuring the Operating System as root"
> > gives the changes you must make to /etc/syslog.conf.  The other
> > essential piece for logging is that $LDMHOME/bin/hupsyslog is setuid
> > root, as per the instructions at
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmBinaryInstallList.html under
> > "Make rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog suid root".
>
> I did follow both instructions, but I still see no logs in
> /usr/local/ldm/logs.
> You say that an essential piece for logging is changing the hupsyslog file in
> $LDMHOME/bin.  Shouldn't that be in ~ldm/{version-directory}/bin, or is that
> essentially the same thing?  I have LDMHOME set as /usr/local/ldm.

$LDMHOME should be the same as ~ldm, which is usually /usr/local/ldm.

~ldm/bin is a link to ~ldm/runtime/bin, and in your case, runtime should
point to ldm-5.1.2.  So, ultimately ~ldm/bin is a link to
~ldm/{version-directory}/bin.  We use the link 'runtime' so that new
versions of the ldm can be installed while the old one is still running,
then when you want to change versions usually all you must do is stop
the ldm and change the link.  (Some versions require a new queue to be
made.)

Btw, I forgot to mention one other essential logging piece.  The file
~ldm/logs/ldmd.log must exist.  See
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmBinaryInstallList.html and
look under "Change the runtime link", "For a new LDM installation",
specifically, "Create the LDM log file".  This command will create a 0
length log file.

> Should the directories in ~ldm/{version-directory} be copied to the
> directories
> in /usr/local/ldm, just as I had to copy the contents of the
> {version-directory}/etc into ~ldm/etc?

So, no - with the runtime link described above no executables need to be
copied.

For a first time installation it is necessary to copy files into
~ldm/etc.  For subsequent upgrades, you just keep your own versions of
those files across upgrades.  These are configuration files that you
will tailor for your site.  This is why the etc directory is *not* a
link, unlike the bin directory, for example, which is a link to
runtime/bin.

> > > When I attempted to run pqcreate, it gave me a permission denied
> > > message-bash: ./pqcreate: Permission denied.  I believe that may be the
> > > problem.
>
> > What are the permissions on pqcreate?
>
> The permissions were originally set as 644, so I then changed it to 744.
> When I
> attempted to run pqcreate, I got this message-
>
> pqcreate: Cannot find
> Killed

You need to add the ldm executables to your path.  See
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html,
specifically the section called "The User 'ldm' Account"

> I apologize for taking up so much of your time.  Thanks again.
>
> -Agustin

No need to apologize!  You're welcome.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307