Re: 20010123: Strange LDM freezes

Pete Stamus wrote:

> > Yes, that should rotate the log.
> >
> > Are you doing 'ldmadmin newlog' as user 'ldm'?  What are the permissions
> > on the log file?   Is there one and only one copy of syslogd running?
> >

> Yes, 'ldmadmin newlog' as 'ldm'.  Log files owned by 'ldm', rw-r--r--
> permission on all.  Only one syslogd running.
>
> > Are you able to rotate the logs via cron?
> >

> Haven't tried it in cron, since I couldn't get the pqing.log to
> rotate when the ldmd.log rotates by command line.
>
> > Also, you're on a Solaris box, right?
> >

> Intel box running Solaris 7 (SunOS 5.7).
>
> ps
> Pete Stamus                          | Phone: (303) 415-9701 x224
> Colorado Research Associates (CoRA)* | Fax:   (303) 415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane                   | email: address@hidden
> Boulder, Colorado 80301  USA         | *( CoRA is a division of NWRA )
>    You can't trust your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
>                                                       -- Mark Twain
Hi Pete,

Oh, I should have picked this up earlier.

When the -l option is used, as you are doing in your pqing invocation,
the syslog daemon is not used.  Instead, pqing will write directly to
the file.  In this case, you must rotate that log yourself.  You could
write a script to stop pqing, rotate the log, then restart it.  The
problem is that then pqing won't be part of the same process group as
the rest of the ldm.

I suggest taking out the -l option to pqing in ldmd.conf.  Then it will
log to ldmd.log like all the other ldm processes.  You'll get one big
file, but you can rotate it via 'ldmadmin newlog'.

(A complex alternative that would allow pqing to be part of the ldm
process group yet write to a separate file might be possible.  You'd
have to add another entry to syslog.conf, then write a script that set
an environment variable specifying which logging facility you want to
use for pqing, then invoke pqing.  This would require some testing.  I
assume this is overkill for your situation.)

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307