Re: 20010126: LDM logfiles and server access

Hi Erick,

Sounds like one of those days!

By default, the ldm uses the syslog daemon for logging. In your case, it's
the syslog daemon that was continuing to write to that file even after you
renamed it. To get it write to the new ldmd.log file it needs to receive a
HUP signal.  This signal tells the daemon to reread it's configuration
file.

What's supposed to happen when the logs are rotated is that ldmd.log is
moved to ldmd.log.1, a new zero length ldmd.log file is created, then the
syslog daemon is hup'ed by calling the ldm program 'hupsyslog'.

But, if you restarted the ldm with an empty ldmd.log file in place and
nothing happened, then you've moved beyond this problem to a possibly more
fundamental one.

Here are the pieces that you need for ldm logging to work:

- You need one and only one syslog daemon running.  Check this with
        'ps -ef | grep syslogd'.

- There must be a line in /etc/syslog.conf that tells the syslog daemon to
write messages from local0 of level debug or greater to the
/usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log (or where ever you keep your logs).  Confirm
that a line like this is in the file:
        local0.debug /laraine/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
(Use tabs between fields - sometimes it won't like spaces.)

- The file /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log must exist. (Hence the need to
create the zero length file mentioned above.)

- wThe ldm program 'hupsyslog' must be setuid root, i.e., its
permissions
must be like this:
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     ustaff     24041 Dec  5 13:31 hupsyslog*

So, check that the above components are in place.

Regarding not receiving data, the command
        notifyme -vl - -h typhoon.atmost.ucla.edu
will show you two things.  If typhoon has an 'allow' line for your machine
in it's configuration, which is what you need so that it will relay data
to you, then it will show you all the data that is arriving there.

If your syslog daemon got bolluxed up, and something else changed causing
you to stop receiving data, it sounds possible that you might be having
some system problems.  Has anyone checked the system log? (usually in
/var/adm/messages)

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307