ldmfail problem

Hi Jennie and Tom,

I think I have fixed the ldmfail problem on windfall.  The problem was
that when run from cron the ldmfail perl script was not picking up the
path properly.  I tried a few things, but the cleanest was to write a
dinky script called ldmfailWrapper that I placed in the util directory.
The script simply sets the path variable, exports it, and calls ldmfail.

Jennie, this means you will be able to upgrade in a straightforward
manner, since the installation doesn't change anything in the util
directory.  But, if you want to change your failover site you will need
to change this script.

Tom, I tried several things from within cron.  The closest I could get
was to give this command to cron:

(. .profile ; bin/ldmfail -p <primaryHost> -f <failoverHost>)

This would work - the path was available to ldmfail.  The problem was
that  sh would complain about the ksh components of .profile and also
about stty being undefined.  I could always dump the complaints to
/dev/null, but it was just, well, unsatisfying.

There is another alternative, that looks something like this:

(PATH=/usr/local/ldm/bin:/usr/local/bin bin/ldmfail -p <primaryHost> -f
<failoverHost>)

which could make for an ugly, hairy line in crontab.

So, I don't know if this is the final solution for this problem or not.
There are a few alternatives for changing the distribution to handle
this problem.  I think ideally the installation would set the path in
ldmfail, like it does in ldmadmin.  I'll just put this on my toDo list
(and watch it slowly sink below the other items).  No really, if you
think this is a high priority item let's talk about it.

Jennie, I think things should be working now.  Please let me know if you
see any other problems.  Best wishes to you and Gary.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307