Re: 20010206: Ldm quits unexpectedly (addendum)

"John C. Nordlie" wrote:

> Howdy.
>         Ok, I downloaded the ldm 5.1.2 binary for sunos_5.6-sparc,
> installed it, ran the scriptconfig (and ran it again after it complained
> about not having the qualified hostname), killed off all the rpc.ldmd
> and decoder processes, erased the queue, changed the runtime link,
> made a new queue, typed 'ldmadmin start' and ...
>
> it worked!
>
> No hangs, no core files, 'ldmadmin pqactcheck' returns proper syntax
> (it did before changing versions, btw), 'ldmadmin watch' shows data
> coming in (that worked before too), so all seems to be working right.
> Oh, our version of perl is 5.002.
>
>         So I can only guess there was some issue with the executable
> and the OS version, which is kind of weird but I'm not complaining!
> All I can say is a big 'Thankyou' for helping me cure the problem,
> and sorry for bugging you (but no promises that I won't in the
> future :).
>
> Oh, and FYI, the core files were being generated from rpc.ldmd.
>
> I'll watch it like a hawk for a while, and let you know if anything
> strange happens.

Great!  So now I know that that binary will run on an older OS, and it
wasn't pqact.conf after all.  Although I don't understand why the
previous version wouldn't run...

You are very welcome, and you did not bug me.  If things change for the
worse let me know.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307