Re: 20010126: LDM logfiles and server access

Erick Lorenz wrote:

> Anne:
>
> Regarding the problems my ldm server is having with its log files.  I
> performed the test you suggested ie:
> >
> >I would like you to do the test that I mentioned in my earlier message.
> >The test would be something like:
> >
> >1. Comment out the local0 line in /etc/syslog.conf
>
> >2. Send the syslog deamon a HUP signal.  Now it doesn't know anything
> >   about local0.
>
> >3. Comment *in* the local0 line in /etc/syslog.conf
>
> >4. Stop and restart the ldm.  This should rotate the logs and cause
> >   messages to go to ldmd.log (not ldmd.log.1).
>
> I performed these steps and the ldmd.log file is still not being written
> to.  Here is a listing of the log files right after the test was completed.
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata        0 Jan 29 00:00 ldmd.log
> -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   947632 Feb  2 15:38 ldmd.log.1
> -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   150792 Jan 28 01:00 ldmd.log.2
> -rw-r--r--    1 ldm      unidata   625483 Jan 27 18:52 ldmd.log.3
>
> >Are you using local0 for any other logging on your system?  Does it
> >appear anywhere else in syslog.conf?
>
> Here is a copy of my syslog.conf.  I commented out the line that follows
> the statement "entry for LDM logging:
> ----
> # Configuration file for syslogd(1M)
> # $Revision: 1.11 $
> #
> # Formats: selector<TAB>action
> #          selector<TAB>filter<TAB>action
> #
> kern.debug;local0.none          |/usr/sbin/klogpp       /var/adm/SYSLOG
> #
> *.debug;kern.none;local0.none   /var/adm/SYSLOG
> *.crit;local0.none              |/var/adm/sysmonpp      /var/adm/SYSLOG
> #
> # entry for LDM logging
> #
> local0.err;local0.warning;local0.notice;local0.info
> /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
> #
> # To turn off sending LDM log messages to the console and messages log files
> # add local0.none to the following type of lines, ie.
> # add mail.crit to /var/adm/messages 18 Jan 99
> #
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none             /dev/console
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none;local0.none
> /var/adm/message
> ------
>
> Thanks
>
> Erick
>
>   +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>   | Erick Lorenz, Programmer/Analyst                     Voice: 530-752-8297 |
>   | Atmospheric Science                                  FAX:   530-752-1552 |
>   | Land, Air & Water Resources                                              |
>   | University of California, Davis            e-mail:  address@hidden |
>   +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Hello Erick,

Well, much time has passed since I last looked at your problem.  I
apologize for that.

Have you been able to solve the problem of syslogd not logging to the
right log file?  If not, I see something that would cause that problem.
In your message above you said you commented out the line that follows
the statement "entry for LDM logging".  That is the very line that will
tell the syslog daemon where to send local0 messages, i.e., messages
from the LDM, so it must be in the file.  (The other local0 lines simply
say where *not* to log LDM messages.)  I think if you keep that entry in
the file and run the test above, you would see the correct results.

One other point: Bear in mind that a syslog.conf entry directs syslogd
to log all messages of the listed level *or higher* to a file or device.
Thus, the effect of that particular entry in your syslog.conf is the
same as this:

local0.info    /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

You could simplify that line and get more information from the LDM by
telling syslogd to send just local0.debug to
/usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log.
This will encompass all the levels, listed here in descending order:
        emerg
        alert
        crit
        err
        warning
        notice
        info
        debug
        none (this one is treated differently)

I think you should include the debug level - there may well be a time
when you want to put some part of the LDM in debug mode to figure out
what it's doing.

I hope this is helpful.  Again, I'm sorry about the delay.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307