Re: Data outage

"Eric W. Ribble" wrote:

> > Gads, Eric, my brain isn't behaving this afternoon.  I told you
> > something wrong again.  I'm totally mixing up requests and allows.
> > Maybe I'm trying to do too much at once.
> >
> > The request line does indeed take a pattern, unlike what I told you in
> > my last message.  It's the allow line doesn't take a pattern - an
> > upstream site does not specify which products a downstream site can
> > receive.  It can only specify which feedtypes a downstream site can
> > receive.
> >
> > And, the request line probably can't handle requests to *.hostname - it
> > probably wants just one hostname.  (In contrast, you can 'allow'
> > multiple hosts from a domain to connect using *.hostname.)
> >
> > In the ldmd.conf that you sent, you have no requests to WSI.  You should
> > have one.  That is how WSI knows that you want to receive that data.
> >
> > But, I see you have many allows for the WSI feed - are you feeding that
> > to downstream sites?  Is that ok for this proprietary data?  And, some
> > allows are for WSI - that's backwards.  I presume WSI does not want to
> > connect to you to receive the WSI data from you.
> >
> > So, this may be the cause of the problem.  Add
> >
> >> request WSI ".*" sysu1\.uni\.wsicorp\.com
> >
> > to the file, and take out
> >
> >> allow   WSI     "*\.wsicorp\.com"
> >> allow   WSI     sysu1\.uni\.wsicorp\.com
> >> allow   WSI     sysu1\.wsicorp\.com
> >> allow   WSI     sysu1\.wsi\.com
> >> allow   WSI     198\.115\.158\.1
> >
> > Keep the accepts in for now.  When things get working again, try taking
> > them out and see if things still work.
> >
> > Eric, I'm very sorry for the confusion I've introduced this afternoon.
> > I hope you can bare with me.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Okie Dokie -
>
> The LDM has been restarted with the requested changes.  Charlie --  Any luck
> now???  If this works, so help me...  We've never had a request line in
> before for WSI...  If this does cure it, I'm wondering why it worked all
> this time and then just decided to stop.
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Eric W. Ribble
> Purdue University
> Mesoscale Convection and Tornado Research Group (MCT)
> address@hidden
> http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble

Eric,

All this time I have been operating under the assumption that WSI is
running a current version of the LDM. Your comment about the request
line caused me to discuss this with my coworker.  I see now that my
assumption was probably wrong.

No one here really knows for sure which version of the LDM WSI is
running, but if no one is using request lines to receive the data then
they must still be running version 4.  In this case you want the accept
lines and don't need the request line.

I am unsure about how version 4 and version 5 interact.  The one piece I
can think of that might fit the circumstances is that your ldm also
wants to be able to accomplish the forward and reverse name lookup.  Can
you successfully do 'nslookup sysu1.wsicorp.com' and 'nslookup
198.115.158.1'?

If this is not the problem, then I would suggest that you allow us to
login to your ldm account.  I have started working with Tom Yoksas on
this.  If this is ok with you then I would round him up tomorrow and
we'll take a look at it together.

I'm sorry to lead you astray.  This time it was my ignorance rather than
brain explosions of gas.  I hope we can help you get this solved
tomorrow.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307