Re: 20010402: CCNY LDM

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, anne wrote:

> Tom and Robb,
> Halo looks about like it did before - RECLASS and skipped messages are
> appearing in the log pretty regularly.  I presume that is due to network
> congestion - some products are arriving 1 to 2 minutes late.  Although,
> this is consistent with this other phenomenon I'm seeing that I described
> to you last night - most of the products that are arriving there have
> time stamps that are almost exactly an hour old.    I assume the LDM uses

Anne,

The RE-CLASS messages I believe only occur if a product is being sent or
received that is over an hour old.

When I looked at the logs last week, my main concern was the number of
pbuf_flush messages and that the time elapsed was high on the
messages. So the machine is spending a great deal of time waiting to write
data.  This makes me think that the first problem to tackle is
the disk I/O.  I would check that the queue and where the data products
are stored are both local disks.  If that's the case, then check on the
number of disks on halo.  A possible solution would be to add another disk
and have the queue on one and the data storage on another. Mike knows more
about fine tuning systems. Another solution of course would be to request
less data, nobody wants to do that. After the pbuf_flush problem is solved
then I would look at the amount of data requested. My opinion is to solve
the machine problem before checking the network.

Robb...