Re: Help! I think I have found the problem!

Hi Gilbert,

Well, here are some patchy things to do to get you up until I figure out
the solutions.

First, in ~ldm/src (presumably runtime points to ldm-5.1.3 at this
point), do:
        make clean; rm config.*
to get a clean slate.

Then in ~ldm/src/ulog/hupsyslog.c (I know this is grim!) add the line:

#include <ldmconfig.h>
#define SYSLOG_PIDFILE "/var/run/syslogd.pid"
#if defined(SYSLOG_PIDFILE)

(I should be able to do the above via configure, but it's giving me
grief at the moment.)  This is because on both my 7.0 and 7.1 machine a
problem appeared where configure couldn't define that macro properly.
(Maybe that wouldn't be a problem on your machine, I don't know.)

Then in ~ldm/src/Makefile take out the line:

        pqutil/install \

so pqutil won't be built.  Also, take out all the stuff between the
"install:" target and the "install_setuids:" target.  That is, instead
of

    install:    $(INSTALL_DIRS) $(LIBDIR)/$(LIBLDM) $(INSTALL_TARGETS)
        -case `uname -s' in \
        AIX);; \
        HP_UX);; \
        IRIX*);; \
        *) catman -w -M $(MANDIR);;\
        esac

    install_setuids:

make it be

    install:    $(INSTALL_DIRS) $(LIBDIR)/$(LIBLDM) $(INSTALL_TARGETS)

    install_setuids:

This is because for some reason Linux makes /usr/sbin/makewhatis only
executable by root, and there are some permission problems with
/var/cache/man/whatis.  This means apropos won't work the ldm man
pages.

Then, in ~ldm/src run ./configure; make install; make install_setuids
(as root), etc, as usual.

This worked for me.  Let me know how it turns out for you.  Next, I'll
have some lunch and then try to solve the problems rather than just
patch them.

Anne
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307