RE: debate over Linux and Solaris (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:19:38 -0400
From: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: RE: debate over Linux and Solaris

A couple of people have emailed me, off list, about the problems with
RedHat.  Their conclusions were to steer clear of RedHat for server
applications and move towards releases such as Debian and Caldera.
Also, many have mentioned its hard to beat FreeBSD for reliability.
Maybe I need a good cross-reference as to the benefits and problems
associated with the dozen or so Linux releases???

As for Java... I'm using the Sun SDK for Linux.  I don't know how this
compares to the IBM release.  Right now, I'm just looking for something
that will compile and work.  I'm not looking for speed yet!  Also, I'm
content the Java2D.  WXP doesn't use 3D commands... at least not yet so
I should be OK on Solaris x86.

Also, are there any comments on products such as JServ??  I need good
client/server setups for Java (J2EE stuff).

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215