Re: configuring OS (fwd)

Hello Brian,

As primary ldm support person, Jeff forwarded your message to me.  I
will try to help you.

Jeff Weber wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> I think this is more up your alley...
>
> -Jeff

Adding these lines to /etc/syslog.conf allows the LDM to use the syslog
daemon for logging.  These lines tell the syslog daemon to write
messages from the local0 facility, which the ldm takes for its own use,
of level "debug" or greater to the file /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log.

> o Modify the following lines in file /etc/syslog.conf so that LDM messages
> will not be written to the console
> o *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none     /dev/console
> o *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none;local0.none
> /var/adm/messages

These lines tell the syslog daemon *not* to log anything from local0 to
the console  or to the system log /var/adm/messages.  This will keep
your terminal window and the system log from filling up with messages
from the LDM.

> I am getting an error message when I boot that says the following:
>         Syslogd: /var/adm/messages: No such file or directory
>         Syslogd: Unknown facility mane "local10"

The system log location does vary across systems.  For example, under
Linux it's /var/log/messages.  What system are you using?   Usually
people only need to add "local0.none" to two lines that already exist in
their syslog.conf file.  The instructions really should say something
like "Find a line that looks similar to these and add local0.none".

The second message indicates a typo on your part - it should be local0,
not local10.

> I looked to see if the /var/adm/messages folder existed and it does not.
> Does the installation create this or do I have to create it?

Please see above.

> I also added the script below to the rc.local file and it does not boot.
> Where should the LDM boot script go?
> #! /bin/sh
> # $Id$
> #
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/etc:/usr/ucb; export PATH
> LDMHOME=/usr/local/ldm
> LDMBIN=$LDMHOME/bin
> DECODEBIN=$LDMHOME/decoders
> UTILBIN=$LDMHOME/util
>
> case "$1" in
>
> 'start')
>         if [ -x $LDMBIN/ldmadmin ] ; then
>                 PATH=$PATH:$LDMBIN:$DECODEBIN:$UTILBIN:/usr/local/bin;
> export PATH
>                 echo "starting $LDMBIN/rpc.ldmd using ldmadmin start."
>                 /bin/su - ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin delqueue"
>                 /bin/su - ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin mkqueue"
> #                /bin/su - ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin delsurfqueue"
> #                /bin/su - ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin mksurfqueue"
>                 /bin/su - ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin start"
>         fi
>         ;;
> 'stop')
>         if [ -x $LDMBIN/ldmadmin ] ; then
>                 $LDMBIN/ldmadmin stop
>         fi
>         ;;
> esac

Again, what system are you using?  Start up procedures are system
dependent.  You want the ldm to be started late in the start up process,
after all necessary utilites have been started, such as networking.
Please let me know.

Anne

> Thanks for you help again.
> Brian