Re: Flood down?

Eric Nelson wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Everything I've seen had said flood.atmos.uiuc.edu was our primary
> nnexrad/fnexrad feed
> site.  ref...http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/nexradFeed.html
>
> I think last time flood had problems I tried sunset just to see if it
> would feed us and I beleive we aren't allowed for those feeds on
> susnet.  Pete had allowed us for hds,ddplus,ids,mcidas, and fsl2 a while
> ago and those are still availible.
>
> Let me know if I should email Pete to setup access incase there are more
> problems.  I would feed from Gilbert at NIU for backup purposes, but the
> route between our campuses is bandwidth starved and I am currently
> ingesting all the data from the central and southern region sites.  If I
> recall he is only requesting 5 or 6 sites across the region.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric.

Eric,

From the beginning of the availability of the radar data we've planned
on propagating only the NEXRAD (aka NNEXRAD) feed using a separate
topology, keeping the FNEXRAD feed flowing along the usual routes.  See
the fourth paragraph of
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/receivingRadar.html.  There
were also notices emailed to that effect.

But, you're not the only one that didn't get the message.  I've
discovered how difficult it is to convey information to a large group of
busy people.  We tried really hard to keep people informed while not
spamming them with too much information - a tricky balancing act that
always seems to fail somewhere along the line.  Oh well...

In theory, Pete should allow the FNEXRAD feed for you.  In practise,
people seem to be getting FNEXRAD from wherever.  It's a low volume feed
- you might as well do what works best for you.

The only possible problem I can think of is that your failover script
will only provide automatic failover for your primary feed.  Currently,
you'd have to failover manually if your NEXRAD feed goes down.  (And,
even then it's only detected if the host actually dies, which was not
the case today.)  So, if FNEXRAD is really important to you I'd ask Pete
to feed it to you simply to increase the chances that you'll get it
regularly.

Anne

"In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they're
not."
                                  Boulder, CO  80307