Re: 20010623: LDM 5.1.4 problem?

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> > I'm glad that worked, but, um, well, let me back pedal a little bit.  I
> > should have thought this through further.
>
> Uh oh.
>
> > Caveat #1: If products are being ingested under a 'false' feedtype, this
> > will cause problems if you're propagating them.  The NMC2 name is now
> > being used for the CONDUIT data, which is not currently being
> > propagated.  But when that occurs there will be confusion.
>
> OK. Would NMC3 work?

NMC3 is FNEXRAD, which is indeed being propagated now.  It's moderately
popular.  Of the two, for the time being NMC2 is probably better.

> > Caveat #2: If you and/or your upstream site are sending statistics (and
> > we hope that you are), this will skew the statistics.  Is there a lot of
> > data on this feed?  If it's small it's no big deal, but if it's large,
> > it could be a problem for us.
>
> No, it is small. NWWS is a 9600 baud feed. :-)

OK.

> > Generally, sending stuff under false feedtypes like this is not
> > recommended (even though I just did that with you!)  An alternative is
> > for your upstream site to make what is a very simple change to pqing.
> > Obviously they would need to rebuild the software, and remember to make
> > the change every time they upgrade.  If they would like to do this, let
> > me know and I'll give them the change.
>
> Uh, that would be a bad thing. HOWEVER...
>
> In October, the NWWS PILs go away anyway, so...it won't matter, we can
> flip it to NWWS then.

Sorry - I don't understand this.  What do you mean?

> > So, I realize now that I must urge you not to propagate these products.
>
> Believe me, I won't.

Thanks.  As long as this is between just you and your upstream site and
you can handle getting mixed up feeds, I don't see a problem.  But, is
your upstream site propagating it elsewhere?

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307