Re: 20010629: ewbie question

Bunny Pfau wrote:

> -> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:18:28 -0600
> -> From: anne <address@hidden>
> -> To: Bunny Pfau <address@hidden>
> -> CC: address@hidden
> -> Subject: Re: 20010629: ewbie question
> ->
> -> Bunny Pfau wrote:
> -> >
> -> > Anne:
> -> >
> -> > This all helps enormously.
> -> >
> -> > Since I have you here on the wire, I have one Teensy question that
> -> > will be easy for you to answer, I think, and then I'll let you go.
> -> >
> -> > In my experimental setup, I loaded several products into the
> -> > queue, upstream, on my LDM server.  About an hour had passed
> -> > and I turned on my downstream server -- the products were still
> -> > in the upstream server's queue and I was expecting my downstream
> -> > client to snarf these up.  I discovered, however, that the
> -> > products already in the upstream's queue were "stale" or something
> -> > and so my downstream client ignored them.
> -> >
> -> > What mechanism controls this?
> -> >
> -> > Thanks -- this is my last question and then I'll let you go!
> -> > I really appreciate your help!
> -> >
> -> > Bunny
> ->
> -> Hi Bunny,
> ->
> -> By default the LDM only requests products that are within an hour old.
> -> If over an hour had passed before starting up the downstream server, the
> -> downstream machine wouldn't get any products.  This one hour limit can
> -> be changed if you want.  If you'd like to know more about this let me
> -> know.
> ->
> -> Anne
> -> --
> -> ***************************************************
> -> Anne Wilson                     UCAR Unidata Program
> -> address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
> ->                                   Boulder, CO  80307
> -> ----------------------------------------------------
> -> Unidata WWW server       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
> -> ****************************************************
>
> Yes! I'd like to change the one hour limit!  How?
>
> Thanks
> Bunny

Hi Bunny,

You'll need to add an argument to the invocation of rpc.ldmd.  Go to
~ldm/bin and edit the ldmadmin script.  Find the section in the
subroutine start_ldm that looks like:

#build the command line

        $cmd_line = "rpc.ldmd";
        if ($verbose) {
                #cmd_line .= " -v";
        }

        $cmd_line .= " -q $pq_path $ldmd_conf > $pid_file";

and change that last line to

        $cmd_line .= "-o <offset> -q $pq_path $ldmd_conf > $pid_file";

where <offset> is the age in seconds of products that you are willing to
accept.  E.g., if you are willing to accept products that are two hours
old or less make <offset> 7200.   See the man page for rpc.ldmd for more
info.

The thing you'll have to remember is to make this change every time you
upgrade your LDM.  It's the sort of thing that people forget.

Anne
address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307