Re: 20010727: Problem getting ldmd.log created

James Murakami wrote:

> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > Hi James,
> >
> > Hmm, let's make sure that the syslog daemon is running.  Do 'ps -ef
> > |
> > grep syslog'.  You should see something like:
> >
> > (anne) imogene:/home/www/staff/anne 214 % ps -ef | grep syslog
> > root       350     1  0 Jul24 ?        01:25:33 syslogd -m 0
> > anne      7743  1071  0 13:23 pts/0    00:00:00 grep syslog
> >
> > If you don't see a syslogd process, then the daemon will need to be
> > restarted.  This has to be done as 'root'.
> >
> > If you do see a syslogd process, then it must be writing to the
> > wrong
> > place.  Try 'ldmadmin newlog' to rotate the logs and hup the syslog
> > daemon.  ('hup'ing the syslog daemon will cause it to reread its
> > configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf.)
> >
> > If this doesn't do it, please send me a copy of your
> > /etc/syslog.conf
> > file.  I was assuming it's set up properly since things were working
> > for
> > you earlier, but it's always worth checking.
> >
> > Please try these things and let me know what happens.
> >
> > Anne
> > --
> > Anne Wilson                     UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
> >                                   Boulder, CO  80307
> > Unidata WWW server       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
>
> Anne,
>
> I did as instructed. I grepped and got what follows--
>
> /home/ldm> ps -ef | grep syslog
>     root   162     1  0   Jun 25 ?        5:34 /usr/sbin/syslogd
>
> So, I did "ldmadmin newlog" as ldm and "kill -HUP 162" as root.
> Nothing changed as far as an updating file.

So the daemon is running, and you hup'ed it.  Btw, the ldm program
'hupsyslog' does this very thing, and is invoked when you do 'ldmadmin
newlog', fyi.

> I've attached the syslog.conf file you requested. Note that
> "/home/ldm" and "/unidata/ldm" are the same on our system.
> We are running ldm-5.1.2 (since Dec 2000).
>
> James
>
> --
> --------------------------------------
> James Murakami
> Staff Meteorologist/Student Affairs
> Department of Atmospheric Sciences
> University of California, Los Angeles
> 405 Hilgard Ave.
> Los Angeles, CA  90095-1565
>
>    e-mail:  address@hidden
> telephone:  310-825-2418
>       Fax:  310-206-5219

> #ident  "@(#)syslog.conf        1.4     96/10/11 SMI"   /* SunOS 5.0
> */
> #
> # Copyright (c) 1991-1993, by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> #
> # syslog configuration file.
> #
> # This file is processed by m4 so be careful to quote (`') names
> # that match m4 reserved words.  Also, within ifdef's, arguments
> # containing commas must be quoted.
> #
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;local0.none               /dev/console
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;local0.none
> /var/adm/messages
>
> *.alert;kern.err;daemon.err                     operator
> *.alert                                         root
>
> *.emerg                                         *
>
> # if a non-loghost machine chooses to have authentication messages
> # sent to the loghost machine, un-comment out the following line:
> #auth.notice                    ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/authlog,
> @loghost)
>
> mail.debug                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog,
> @loghost)
>
> # UNIDATA LDM logging
> local0.debug    /unidata/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
>
> #
> # non-loghost machines will use the following lines to cause "user"
> # log messages to be logged locally.
> #
> ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
> user.err                                        /dev/console
> user.err                                        /var/adm/messages
> user.alert                                      `root, operator'
> user.emerg                                      *
> )

Check to see that the fields in the following line are separated by
tabs, not spaces:

local0.debug    /unidata/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

I can't tell from here, as the mailer takes liberties with formatting.
If the fields are separated by spaces, change them to tabs and hup the
syslog daemon again.

Are you sure that the directory or link ~ldm/logs exists?  Is it owned
by 'ldm'?

If this doesn't fix it, I'd really need a login to sort things out.  If
you're comfortable with that, we need to exchange the necessary info in
a secure way.  Let's see if we get to that point.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307