Re: 20010727: Problem getting ldmd.log created

James Murakami wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Well, as you instructed, I (as ldm) created a new
> ldmd.log file. However, nothing has updated (waited
> a hour before writing you back). Data has been
> flowing throughout the period. I even stopped and
> (re)started the ldmadmin.
>
> James

Hi James,

Hmm, let's make sure that the syslog daemon is running.  Do 'ps -ef |
grep syslog'.  You should see something like:

(anne) imogene:/home/www/staff/anne 214 % ps -ef | grep syslog
root       350     1  0 Jul24 ?        01:25:33 syslogd -m 0
anne      7743  1071  0 13:23 pts/0    00:00:00 grep syslog

If you don't see a syslogd process, then the daemon will need to be
restarted.  This has to be done as 'root'.

If you do see a syslogd process, then it must be writing to the wrong
place.  Try 'ldmadmin newlog' to rotate the logs and hup the syslog
daemon.  ('hup'ing the syslog daemon will cause it to reread its
configuration file, /etc/syslog.conf.)

If this doesn't do it, please send me a copy of your /etc/syslog.conf
file.  I was assuming it's set up properly since things were working for
you earlier, but it's always worth checking.

Please try these things and let me know what happens.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307