RE: ldm problems and separating feed types..

Thanks Stonie..I appreciate it very much.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stonie R. Cooper [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 12:42 PM
To: Robert Mullenax
Cc: Cannon, Declan; Wells, Timothy; address@hidden
Subject: Re: ldm problems and separating feed types..

Robert,

I'll take this off-line due to the obvious ramifications that it may appear
as self-promotion - and that is not my intent.

I'm assuming you have either SDI straight from SSEC, or from the now defunct

Alden.  We are only familiar with them in-as-much as we have been brought in

to replace such systems with ours - and LDM is one of the reasons why.

I'll copy Declan, also, as I know he has seen queries in mail lists about
the
same problem as it occurs with Unisys's system - i.e. the pqing simply dies
with a "resource unavailable" error.  You can ask Dan Vietor, also, but I'm
pretty sure that they inject data into the LDM pretty much the same way as
the Alden/SSEC system.

I don't know that there is a resolution around this, as of yet.

From Unidata/UCAR mail archives, my exposure to the SDI system was that
Alden
was trying to make this look exactly like a FOS feed; NRS data, though, as
you know, is not FOS - and does not have the inherit distinction of
"feedtype".  If the SDI software allows you establish fifos beyond the ones
you have listed, you may be able to segment the data further - but from your

list below, all messages coming in from the /tmp/jmb.fifo.4 are bitwise
or'ed
as both IDS and DDPLUS - thus you can't separate them - all messages have
both feedtypes.

If SDI allows you to segment further, make the data you want to be only IDS
or only DDPLUS go to separate fifo's and add pqing entries for those, and
changing the feedtype parm passed to be either just IDS or DDPLUS:

exec "pqing -f ids|ddplus /tmp/jmb.fifo.4"
exec "pqing -f hrs /tmp/jmb.fifo.5"
exec "pqing -f ids /tmp/jmb.fifo.6"
exec "pqing -f ddplus /tmp/jmb.fifo.7"

Again, thought, this assumes you can do some product definition upstream
withint the SDI software.  Unidata has a great reference on-line about how
feedtypes are supposed to be defined - with links to NOAA/WMO where it
applies:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/feedtypes/index.html

And, yes, we do our LDM implementation completely different (for the above
reasons), and then set our NRS to stream data to the LDM with feedtypes to
match the current IDD (as much as we can).

Stonie

On Monday 06 August 2001 16:36, you wrote:
> We have an SDI NOAAPORT box that is ingesting text/binary and the GINI sat
> imagery.  We have an ldm
> running on the machine that is using the ingest from the fifos:
>
> exec "pqing -f ids|ddplus /tmp/jmb.fifo.4"
> exec "pqing -f hrs /tmp/jmb.fifo.5"
>
> We get occasional periods where the ldm just quits receiving data (the
> McIDAS socket connection keeps working)
> and an error says:    pqinsert..file name..resource unavailable.  Has
> anyone else seen this before?  The ldm
> has to be stopped and restarted.
>
> Also, is there a way we can split the feed type so the IDS is separate.
On
> our downstream machines we'd
> like to file it separately and right now, even with separate DDPLUS and
IDS

--
Stonie R. Cooper,
Science Officer

I'll take this off-line due to the obvious ramifications that it may appear
as self-promotion - and that is not my intent.

I'm assuming you have either SDI straight from SSEC, or from the now defunct
Alden.  We are only familiar with them in-as-much as we have been brought in
to replace such systems with ours - and LDM is one of the reasons why.

I'll copy Declan, also, as I know he has seen queries in mail lists about the
same problem as it occurs with Unisys's system - i.e. the pqing simply dies
with a "resource unavailable" error.  You can ask Dan Vietor, also, but I'm
pretty sure that they inject data into the LDM pretty much the same way as
the Alden/SSEC system.

I don't know that there is a resolution around this, as of yet.

From Unidata/UCAR mail archives, my exposure to the SDI system was that Alden