Re: large queue sizes

"Jason J. Levit" wrote:

>   Hi all,
>
>   This afternoon, I compiled a 64-bit version of LDM 5.1.4 on on SGI
> Origin 200 machine, running the latest version of IRIX.  After compiling
> and installing, I tried setting the queue size to 4GB in the "ldmadmin"
> script - and tried making a queue using "ldmadmin mkqueue".  For some
> reason, the program will only make a 1GB queue, and nothing larger.  The
> Unidata web page concerning large LDM queue sizes didn't discuss any
> other needed changes to the code besides 64-bit compiling.
>
>   I may be missing something here...is there anything I need to do?
> Thanks for any help or information!
>
>   Jason
>
> --
> Jason J. Levit, N9MLA                   Research Scientist,
> address@hidden             Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
> Room 1022                              University of Oklahoma
> 405/325-3503                           http://www.caps.ou.edu/

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the delay in response here.

First, there is a message in our archive that is pertainent to your
problem.  See http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/ldm/4461.  This is
from Daryl Herzmann's experience in building his large queue.  There,
Daryl built a large queue first on an SGI, then on a Linux machine.
Although he was able to successfully build on the SGI, the running was
less successful due to limited RAM, 128Mb.  That's when he switched to
Linux.  Most of the dialog that occurred between us and Daryl is in the
archives, if you'd like to see the big picture.

Are you sure that all pieces of your executable were built with the
"-64" bit flag, including pqcreate?  Are you using the 64bit versions of
the libraries?  Have you tried building the queue via pqcreate instead
of ldmadmin? Something like
        pqcreate -s 3G /scratch4/ldm/data/ldm.pqbig

We would be very interested in what you find from this.  We currently do
not have the hardware to actually test this on an SGI, so your
experience would be useful to us.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307