Re: Another Proposal

Daryl Herzmann wrote:

> Hi Anne!
>         Hope all is well in Colorado.  I imagine it is a mad house with
> the Users Meeting upcoming.  Anyway,
>
>         I have another idea for you all to think about.
>
>         Currently not available on the IDD is a potientially large dataset
> of surface observations.  These surface observations are made by the
> Department of Transportation Roadway Weather Information Sensors (RWIS).
> The RWIS network in some states is very dense and automated, in others,
> non-existant or non-automated.  In Iowa, we have 50 automated RWIS
> stations.
>
>         In Iowa, the DOT places the observations on a FTP site and I
> download them, convert them into METARs, insert them into LDM, and let
> GEMPAK create surface files.  LDM ships the obs to the Des Moines NWS WFO
> and Davenport NWS WFO for local ingesting.
>
>         I guess this email is a FYI as much as a proposal.  What I would
> like to suggest, is that we query the community about their interest in
> this dataset.  If the community is interested, we would then talk to the
> DOT about arrangements to place their nationwide data on the IDD.
>
>         Maybe I am ignorant about past engagements with the DOT about
> their dataset, or maybe the DOT does not want the data widely available.
> In Iowa, we have found the data very valuable for meso-analysis  and the
> DOT has been pleased with the products we produce from their dataset.  It
> increases visibility for their network.
>
>         Something to chew on!  Maybe you have discussed this before.
>
> Later,
>         Daryl
>
> --
> /**
>  * Daryl Herzmann (address@hidden)
>  * Program Assistant -- Iowa Environmental Mesonet
>  * http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu
>  */

Hi Daryl!

This is an interesting proposition.  To my knowledge, DOT data has not
come up, but I will enquire about this.

My understanding is that each state has their own version of DOT.  This
might be a limiting factor in propagating such data.  Maybe Iowa DOT is
willing to maintain some sort of ingest mechanism, but maybe other
states aren't interested or able.

The nature of the data sounds a bit like the radar data - local sites
mostly interested in local data, but a few sites might be interested in
all of the data...

I'll run this up the flagpole and see who salutes.

You're out there thinking!  This is good!

Btw, have you seen any latency problems lately?  The network was tested
over the weekend, but the results were inconclusive.  I'll send a note
to ldm-users about this today.  If you see latencies happening, will you
please let me know?  The sooner the better - if we can catch it when
it's happening chances of actually fixing it are much greater.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307