Re: 20011010: LDM not starting at boot

Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> I solved the cron problem, it seems that when I was at Unidata,  Tom issued
> crontab commands on blizzard over SSH, and auditing couldn't audit SSH
> correctly, and messed up the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/ldm.au file, which
> houses settings for ldm's cron jobs (I found this out searching the web). I
> re-set up all the ldm's cron jobs and it created a new ldm.au file, which
> works fine.
>
> Starting ldm at boot is another story.  I did what you instructed.  The
> script worked fine from the command line, both with the 2 queue lines
> commented out and not commented out.  So I did a reboot and it didn't work.
> I moved .cshrc and .login and it worked, but didn't work well.  I guess lots
> of environment variables for ldm were missing, and every console I opened
> was a quickly running list of errors that were occurring due to decoding.
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Here's another thought about the ldm not starting at boot problem.  I'm
wondering about the 'su -' aspect of the script that makes the shell a
login shell.  There are two things I'd like you to try:

1) Try moving just the .login file to the side and then rebooting.

2) Keep .login in place, but modify the script as follows:

                /bin/su ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin delqueue"
                /bin/su ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin mkqueue"
#               /bin/su ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin delsurfqueue"
#               /bin/su ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin mksurfqueue"
                /bin/su ldm -c "$LDMBIN/ldmadmin start"

That is, take out the '-' argument to su.

The former does a login but doesn't execute your .login, and the latter
will not do a login at all.  Please let me know what happens.

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307