Re: 20011018: Prob. building ldm5.1.4 on Tru64

"Neil R. Smith" wrote:

> On another matter: toward a transition from our WSI satellite ingest
> ldm configuration, I'm having problems figuring out what is the
> translation from the WSI feed product names and the NNEXRAD product
> names. Is there a document somwhere that you know of where these
> things are discussed? I've seen correspondence in the support archives
> discussing ingesting WSI feed type from the IDD. That confuses me
> because I thought WSI only fed via satellite and, though we don't
> want to enter into contract with them again, is the WSI feed type
> a valid IDD element for the general IDD participant and does this
> mean I could just use my old WSI pqact.conf on our newly set up
> ldm dedicated to IDD nids?

Hi Neil,

First, the discussions you've seen about ingesting the WSI feed type
from the IDD concerns radar data that WSI transmits via the IDD.  Until
last December when the NWS began transmitting radar data via NOAAPORT,
the only way sites could get radar data was to purchase it from a
vendor.  Unidata negotiated a contract with WSI to provide radar data to
our community at low cost.  We put that on the IDD via the WSI feed.
Now I think some other WSI products are still flowing on that feed, but
I'm not sure what they are.

I don't know how WSI names their products.  But, it's not hard to start
over using our method.  Like Tom McDermott pointed out, to subscribe to
radar products via the IDD, you need to request the NNEXRAD feed and
define patterns for the product/site combinations you want.  The page he
gave you is the best place to start.  In addition, the page
http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/feedtypes/nnexrad.html gives many
related links.  We also provide the FNEXRAD feed type, a nexrad
"floater" feed.  Radars of current interest as determined by students at
Millersville and DuPage are on this feed.

Does this answer your question?

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307