Re: Re[3]: 20020213: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: 20020207: missing products]]

Harry,

I'm a bit curious about the frequent network interface messages on sunny.
This seems to me that both interfaces are re-negotiating speed and duplex
fairly often -- are you willing to hardwire these parameters an see if
this helps?

Mar  5 09:34:05 sunny vmunix: tu1: link up: negotiated 100BaseTX: full duplex
Mar  5 09:34:06 sunny vmunix: tu0: link up: negotiated 100BaseTX: full duplex
Mar  5 09:44:05 sunny vmunix: tu1: link up: negotiated 100BaseTX: full duplex
Mar  5 09:44:07 sunny vmunix: tu0: link up: negotiated 100BaseTX: full duplex

Also, I've run across an interesting article on google about the following;

vmunix: tu0: transmit FIFO underflow: threshold raised to: 512 bytes

one person had this to say;

> I was able to observe that the DE500 shortly takes the link down upon
> enlarging it's FIFO buffer. This brief link transition was seen by the
> Ethernet switch port (with STP enabled) as a network topology change,
> which induced the port to enter in the blocking state for the duration
> specified by the "bridge forward delay timer", which is 15 seconds by
> default with our network hardware. So, every time the FIFO size was
> adjusted, the server was cut from the rest of the network for this
> interval. Since our servers do not act themselves as bridging devices in
> the network, there is no need to have STP enabled on the switch ports
> they are connected to. Disabling STP on server ports effectively
> prevents a flick in link transition from triggering the 15-second wait.

and we might see the same on any of our systems that drop the network link
due to a spanning tree/port fast issue on our Cisco network gear.  What
type of networking gear is this (these) systems plugged into?

mike