[McIDAS #ECE-924432]: Creating and populating a local ADDE server

Hi Kevin,

Status update:

- I logged into derecho and changed the ~mcidas/.cshrc setup to source
  the ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.csh file on login

  This sets all environment variables needed by 'mcidas'

- just to make sure of the viability of the McIDAS build, after
  modifying ~mcidas/.chsrc, I logged off, logged back on and
  then rebuilt/reinstalled McIDAS-X/-XCD:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
-- modify .cshrc
-- log off and then log back on
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make clobber
make all
make install.all

I turned my attention to the LDM setup.  Since the installation I found
was non-standard, I took the liberty of redoing the installation.  This
involved:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop

rm -rf runtime
ln -s /der2/ldm/data data
ln -s /der2/ldm/data/logs logs
mkdir etc
cp ldm-6.11.4/etc/* etc

cd ~/ldm-6.11.4/src
make install

<as 'root'>
-- make sure that the syslog settings in /etc/rsyslog.conf were
   correct; I made a small change

<back as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
mkdir decoders util      <- I think that the decoders subdirectory already
                            existed; util did not

-- I modified ~ldm/etc/registry.xml so that the LDM would find/locate
   things through the ~ldm/data and ~ldm/logs links that I setup

   These modifications makes the LDM-6.10+ setup look/act the same
   as pre-LDM-6.10+ installations.  This simply makes life easier
   for long term LDM users like me.

After tweaking the LDM installation setup, I turned my attention
back to the McIDAS setup.

- I ran the McIDAS configuration script 'mcxconfig' to setup
  LDM configuration files

  I know that you already did this, but I wanted to make sure
  that everything was up to date.

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA

mv MDXX* /der2/ldm/data/mcidas

mcxconfig

- part of this setup is to define the McIDAS string XCDDATA to point
  at the directory where McIDAS-XCD decoded stuff will be written/read

  'mcxconfig' asks what XCDDATA should be defined as if it does not
  already exist.  Since it didn't, I defined it to be:

  /der2/ldm/data/mcidas

- I setup the LDM configuration files for McIDAS decoding to be able
  to process:

  IDS|DDPLUS
  HRS
  UNIWISC
  FNEXRAD
  NIMAGE
  LIGHTNING

-- turn the LDM back on

<as 'ldm'>
-- slightly modify the REQUEST line in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf to ask for
   more than the WMO feed:

REQUEST FNEXRAD|NIMAGE|UNIDATA ".*" cascade

  I don't know if cascade has the FNEXRAD data; I do know that it has
  the UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) data.

ldmadmin start

I next turned my attention to remote ADDE access.

<as 'root'>
-- modify /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas and change the -H reference from /home/mcadde
   to /home/mcidas

service restart xinetd

Finally, I made sure that I could access McIDAS POINT data through
the remote ADDE interface on derecho:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k LIST       <- to review the setup I made when running 'mcxconfig'
% dsinfo.k POINT RTPTSRC

        Dataset Names of Type: POINT in Group: RTPTSRC

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
AIRCRAFT        10    Real-Time Aircraft data
GFSMOS          10    Real-Time GFS Model Output Statistics
LIGHTNING       10    Real-Time Lightning data
NAMMOS          10    Real-Time NAM Model Output Statistics
NLDNLGT         10    Real-Time Lightning NLDN data
PROF6MIN        10    Real-Time 6-Minute Profiler data
PROFHOURLY      10    Real-Time Hourly Profiler data
PTSRCS         120    All point data in MDXX files
SFCHOURLY       10    Real-Time SFC Hourly
SHIPBUOY        10    Real-Time Ship and Buoy data
SYNOPTIC        10    Real-Time SYNOPTIC data
UPPERMAND       10    Real-Time Upper Air (Mandatory)
UPPERSIG        10    Real-Time Upper Air (Significant)
USPLNLGT        10    Real-Time USPLN Lightning data

DSINFO -- done

sfclist.k KDEN
 Day Time StCo  Stn   T  Td  Dir Spd Gus AltSet  Vis  Weather  Ceil
     hhmm        id  [F] [F]     [ kts ]  [mb]   [mi]
---- ---- ---- ----- --- --- --- --- --- ------ ----- -------- -----
  29 1553 COUS KDEN   70  23 220  12  17 1009.5 10.00
Number of reports = 1
sfclist.k: done

So, the remote ADDE server access is now setup on derecho.  I am waiting
for new UNIWISC imagery to be ingested to make sure that it gets correctly
processed by the McIDAS setup in the LDM and gets served correctly.

I will continue to tweak things a bit IF needed (I think that things
are now setup).

The second part of your original question was how to configure the
IDV to get POINT data from the ADDE server on derecho.  This is done
by adding derecho.atmos.albany.edu in the Server: entry for:

Data Choosers ->
  Observations -> Point
  Observations -> RAOB

I am a bit unsure how you tell the IDV the datasets to use; I will
need to check with Yuan when I get into the office.

More later...

Ticket ID: ECE-924432
Department: Support McIDAS