From: galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Jon Blower
Sent: Wed 9/24/2008 8:14 AM
To: Ben Domenico
Cc: galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Roy Mendelssohn; Steve Hankin
Subject: Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Ben,

The analogy with JPEG2000 and JPIP is a good one (although I'm not an
expert either).  My experience of applications that use JPIP streaming
(e.g. accessing high-res satellite data from an Antarctic research
ship with very low bandwidth) is that these applications depend upon
the advanced features of the protocol to function correctly (e.g. to
manage bandwidth).  A WCS approach might effectively remove some of
these features: a client doesn't know exactly how much data to expect

In other words, I see WCS as providing a common baseline, not as a
protocol that attempts to support all of these features.  Does anyone
know how the JPEG2000/JPIP community feel about WCS?

But my impression is that others think that we should abandon the CF-netCDF
encoding spec. and ONLY be proposing CF-OPeNDAP.   Is that the heart of the
suggestion that's on the table in terms of the OPeNDAP part of the
discussion?

My personal opinion is that if I want to use the internet to access
FES data losslessly, and my application understands the NetCDF data
model and the CF conventions, I should use OPeNDAP as it gives me
(very nearly) all the information I need and tools are readily
available.*  I see no need for WCS to satisfy this use case.

If, on the other hand, I have a GIS application that has a map-based
data model and understands GeoTIFFs, I might well want to access FES
data through a WCS - but it's no good returning me a NetCDF file
because I won't be able to understand it.  Instead it would be much
more useful to have a WCS that reads CF-NetCDF data and produces
GeoTIFFs.  A mapping of CF-NetCDF to WCS concepts is still necessary
to understand how this mapping actually takes place - what information
is preserved, what is lost and so forth.

Best wishes,
Jon

* The issue of asynchronous access to large-volume data still needs to
be solved however...  The WCSplus team are experimenting with
asynchronous access and OPeNDAP doesn't support this.  However, I
think there's an OPeNDAP working group addressing this.  This one is
still up in the air.