Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Steve et al,

Just wanted to chime in here:

I'm afraid that this statement over-simplifies the situation.  Our European
colleagues ARE (emphatically) part of our community.  But many of them feel
that they are mandated to use only OGC-accepted solutions.

It's certainly true that there's a feeling amongst many people that
OGC=interoperability and therefore any OGC-accepted solution is
politically correct.  But I don't think that WCS is yet mandated by
INSPIRE (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it might never be.  The
Draft Implementing Rules mandate WMS1.3.0 for visualization, but
otherwise the guidelines are vaguer than this.

For example, a number of European projects have used OPeNDAP
extensively, and still others are adopting it.  (The main use is still
within oceanography, but it is seeing increasing use in atmospheric
science and the satellite data community.)  There is no sign
whatsoever (that I can discern) that suggests that Europe is shying
away from OPeNDAP.

So we shouldn't necessarily assume that European partners will
definitely go down the WCS route, although I agree it's likely if WCS
can sort itself out into a workable specification.  I hope that
INSPIRE will wait for WCS to settle and produce high-quality
interoperable implementations before mandating it.  (Maybe WCS will
have to be an ISO standard first?)

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of INSPIRE than me could
clarify what the rules and expectations are here?

Cheers, Jon