From: galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:galeon-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Blower
Sent: 06 October 2008 08:58
To: Steve Hankin
Cc: Unidata GALEON; Peter Baumann
Subject: Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Steve et al,

Just wanted to chime in here:

I'm afraid that this statement over-simplifies the situation.  Our
European colleagues ARE (emphatically) part of our community.  But
many of them feel that they are mandated to use only OGC-accepted solutions.

It's certainly true that there's a feeling amongst many
people that OGC=interoperability and therefore any
OGC-accepted solution is politically correct.  But I don't
think that WCS is yet mandated by INSPIRE (someone correct me
if I'm wrong) and it might never be.  The Draft Implementing
Rules mandate WMS1.3.0 for visualization, but otherwise the
guidelines are vaguer than this.

For example, a number of European projects have used OPeNDAP
extensively, and still others are adopting it.  (The main use
is still within oceanography, but it is seeing increasing use
in atmospheric science and the satellite data community.) There is no sign whatsoever (that I can discern) that
suggests that Europe is shying away from OPeNDAP.

So we shouldn't necessarily assume that European partners
will definitely go down the WCS route, although I agree it's
likely if WCS can sort itself out into a workable
specification.  I hope that INSPIRE will wait for WCS to
settle and produce high-quality interoperable implementations
before mandating it.  (Maybe WCS will have to be an ISO
standard first?)

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of INSPIRE than me
could clarify what the rules and expectations are here?

Cheers, Jon