From: Aaron Braeckel <braeckel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, October 6, 2008 4:02 pm
Subject: WCS core + extensions

Renamed thread per Ben's suggestion.

If a 2D client talks to a 4D server, it has to be able to detect that
the WCS is beyond its capabilities but otherwise I'm not sure that muchadditional complexity is imposed on clients. A process for describingthe dimensionality of the server is definitely important with an
N-dimensional WCS, but I think this is already largely covered by the
CRS description in the current WCS specification.  I see it as another
flexible point in the specification.  Just as the WCS does not mandate
any particular encoding format or specific CRS/data projection, it wouldnot mandate the dimensionality of the data. As in cases where an
unknown CRS is in use by a WCS server, a client makes a decision about
whether it is capable of handling that WCS implementation.

The reason I see N-dimensionality as preferable to a restricted
dimensionality is that the restriction:
-forces non-2D WCS implementors to fulfill a more complicated extension,even when simple core functionality is all that is needed
-increases the number of necessary extensions, at least with how the
current extensions are described and laid out. Minimizing the number of
extensions seems beneficial to interoperability overall
-seems to cut the WCS functionality into groupings at a different anglethan the general coverage concept (i.e. less generalized coverage
capability)

Are there cases I am forgetting that might cause problems for 2D
implementors?

Aaron