Re: [galeon] WCS core + extensions

Aaron-

from our implementation experience it is a substantial difference for a
server to support
- 1-D time series (such as classical SCADA systems)
- 2-D maps
- 3-D+ data sets

Now imagine use case scenarios: an environmental sensor system supplier
develops a client and a server. The server wouldn't be happy to support
2D (data formats; CRSs; spatial subsetting; ...) which never ever is
going to be used. Likewise, the client is streamlined towards value
sequences.

Next, a 2-D vendor wants maps, but not 1-D timeseries nor 3D+. One of
the issues would be that some CRSs do not support x/z slices and such stuff.

My personal (not necessarily WCS, but we anyway are heterogeneous as
well ;-) ) opinion is that the supported dimensionality should be
factored out into extensions dealing with CRSs (that's the natural point
IMHO). The issue of n-D CRSs actually is with the CRS group currently
where we wait for their decision on the approach to be adopted (Arliss
Whiteside, our Grand Guru, has produced suggestions). This n-D extension
would (will?) allow spatial, temporal, and any further axes in free
combination.

Current status is to put emphasis on the GIS community (which has a
strong influence & importance, if not for historic reasons) and fix 2D
in the core. The n-D extension would go separate.

...just to share some goings-on and some of our trouble ;-)

-Peter

Aaron Braeckel wrote:
Renamed thread per Ben's suggestion.

If a 2D client talks to a 4D server, it has to be able to detect that
the WCS is beyond its capabilities but otherwise I'm not sure that much
additional complexity is imposed on clients.  A process for describing
the dimensionality of the server is definitely important with an
N-dimensional WCS, but I think this is already largely covered by the
CRS description in the current WCS specification.  I see it as another
flexible point in the specification.  Just as the WCS does not mandate
any particular encoding format or specific CRS/data projection, it would
not mandate the dimensionality of the data.  As in cases where an
unknown CRS is in use by a WCS server, a client makes a decision about
whether it is capable of handling that WCS implementation.

The reason I see N-dimensionality as preferable to a restricted
dimensionality is that the restriction:
-forces non-2D WCS implementors to fulfill a more complicated extension,
even when simple core functionality is all that is needed
-increases the number of necessary extensions, at least with how the
current extensions are described and laid out.  Minimizing the number of
extensions seems beneficial to interoperability overall
-seems to cut the WCS functionality into groupings at a different angle
than the general coverage concept (i.e. less generalized coverage
capability)

Are there cases I am forgetting that might cause problems for 2D
implementors?

Aaron