Re: [galeon] How to map a parameterized projection to an EPSG code

  • To: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [galeon] How to map a parameterized projection to an EPSG code
  • From: Aaron Braeckel <braeckel@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:27:25 -0600
I prefer URNs for advertising CRSs over listing the entire definitions
(in WKT or XML), and preferably existing authorities such as EPSG can be
used.  In terms of URN representation, some folks from the OGC CRS WG
kindly pointed me to the OGC
07-092r3_Definition_identifier_URNs_in_OGC_namespace document.  In it I
find a general description for not-completely-specified objects, which
seems to mean (at least partially) parameterized CRSs:

urn:ogc:def:objectType:authority:version:code:value1:value2

with a specific example of the Auto Orthographic CRS 42003:

urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC:1.3:AUTO42003:1:-100:45

To understand this definition completely, one has to refer to the WMS
1.3 spec where they define the 3 parameters following the AUTO42003
identifier:

-the conversion factor.  A non-zero positive integer.  See the WMS spec
for more information
-the lon center point
-the lat center point

This would seem to validate that if I want to identify a Lambert
Conformal with EPSG:9802 with the origin at 25,-95 and the stdLat1 and
stdLat2 at ~25 it would look something like:

urn:ogc:def:method:EPSG::9802:25:-95:25:25:0:0

Note that I based the order of the parameters on the definition in the
EPSG registry.  One could (and should) also put in version numbers for
EPSG 9802 in there as well.  But as far as I can tell from how I've been
reading the OGC specs, this seems like the way to identify parameterized
CRSs when you are advertising a particular projection.  In particular,
this seems like how we would want to advertise the projection of offered
coverage data available from a WCS.  Does anyone have any better
information on whether this is the case or if there are any potential
issues?  One potential issue, of course, is whether there is support for
all the general projections defined in CF and beyond but I'm guessing
EPSG has done a fairly rigorous job in this arena.

I would also like to do research into how to properly advertise the
projected (parameterized) space composed with a vertical space, such as
meters above sea level. Probably defined in ISO 19111-something. Anyone with experience doing this?

Aaron