Re: [netcdfgroup] NF90_SYNC question

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Russ Rew <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It means that if you have a variable with an unlimited dimension, such
> as
>
>    float var(time, lon, lat)
>
> where time is unlimited, then the default chunks will be of shape
>
>    1 x clon x clat
>
> values (not bytes), for integers clon, clat computed to be smaller
> than but proportioanl to the sizes of the lon and lat dimensions

Let me see if I understand. Here's the setup of my file:

----------------
dimensions:
        step = UNLIMITED ;
        cell = 100 ;
variables:
        float temperature(step, cell) ;
        float flux(step, cell) ;
        float energy(step, cell) ;
        byte steadyState(step) ;

So -- by default -- temperature, flux, and energy will have a chunk size of
-- "smaller than but proportioanl to", meaning smaller than? -- 100 floats
(so 400 bytes)? Likewise, by default, steadyState will have a chunk size of
1 byte? (Since it can't be smaller.)

If that's true, that does sound terribly inefficient.

And I override these defaults by providing a chunksizes array when calling
NF90_DEF_VAR?
-Leon