NIDS data.... revisited

If you remember about a month ago, I mentioned that NIDS data was
starting to be broadcast on NOAAPORT under the WMO header SDUS97.
Slowly but surely, NWS is adding more and more sites to the NWSTG
channel on NOAAPORT.  They are up to 9 sites with products coming in
every 6-10 minutes.  The goal is to have 100-140 sites online by the end
of the year with 6 products sent every 6-10 minutes (estimated
150MB/hour, 300Kbit/sec).  This is a TON of data that could swamp local
IDD connections??  I noticed the Meso-Eta is already pushing the
network... at least at Purdue.

With the fix on the LDM yesterday, these NIDS products are now making it
to the end users sites.  With NWS planning on encrypting this soon, the
data will be unusable to the universities and thus probably shouldn't
even go out over IDD.  I'm just expressing some concern that this could
be a problem in the future.

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-444-2407
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-444-2420