From address@hidden Tue Mar  2 14:57:15 1999
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:34:10 -0700
From: Mike Schmidt <address@hidden>
To: Peter Neilley <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: Re: Replacement IITA machine

Peter,

Here's my .02.  I recall that IITA suffered as much from a sluggish
I/O system as it did from lack of memory.  I'd prioritize as follows
(based on experience with IITA and our LDM systems);

 - fastest I/O subsystem possible (ultra2/wide/lvd/10Krpm scsi disks)
     with enough disk capacity to meet your needs - depending on your
     decoding needs, you might consider low end RAID
 - as much memory as possible - 768 MB (or enough for LDM queue)
 - dual 400+ MHz processors (any Pentium II should work fine)
     Buying the latest Intel processors (Pentium III/Xeon) is too
     expensive to justify within the budget constraints you mention
 - fast network interface (100baseT is cheap anyway)

It's easy and relatively cheap to add PC commodity disk and memory later
if you underestimate -- presuming all the slots/drive bays are not filled.
Changing the I/O bus (and the disks) or the CPU's are much more costly.

For reference, our current LDM system is a Sun Ultra 2 with 2x300MHz CPU's,
1GB memory, ultra wide scsi with ~11 ms access disks (no RAID) and 100baseT.
Both the disks and the memory are always hammered.  The CPU's run along about
50-70% idle, and the network load is very low.

mike