Re: More on AFOS (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:27:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
To: "Glenn P. Davis" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: More on AFOS

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Glenn P. Davis wrote:

> Gilbert:
>
> Robb & I think we know what your question is, finally.
>
> We think that you are getting AFOS for the first time

Correctamundo!

> , and
> that you are asking how to modify your pqact entries which
> were written for the Family of Services (WMO) input
> to work for AFOS.

Correct, such that the filenames they are saved under EXACTLY match how
they are saved using WMO headers.

> Suppose you had a pqact.conf entry like this:
>
> WMO   ^WWUS..         FILE somefile_of_warnings
>
> For the AFOS input, you would need a line like
>
> AFOS  \(WWUS..        FILE somefile_of_warnings
>
> That is to say, where before you match on the beginning of
> a line, for AFOS, you would match on the literal '(' in
> the ldm product id.
>
> Of course, if you know the AFOS PIL for the products you are
> interested in, you can match on that, anchored at the beginning of
> the product id.
>
> For example, if you were interested in convective sigmet from
> MKC, you could use a pattern like this:
> AFOS  ^MKCWSTW        FILE    somesigmet_file
> instead of
> AFOS  \(WSUS42 KMKC   FILE    somesigmet_file
>
> -glenn

OK. That's cool. But, my problem comes when I want to match the names
so that the AFOS products go into the same files as the products off of
WMO headers produced by NOAAPORT. Like this:

> AFOS  ^MKCWSTW        FILE    somesigmet_file

Let's say I want the output to be:

convective_sigmets.mar10

How do I do this? With WMO headers, piece of cake. the date follows the
header. But on an AFOS PIL, it doesn't. Glenn, you said that I thought
pqing was...well, I can't read that message and compose at the same time
here at home, but I was insuating that the current version of pqing was
truncating the end of the header of an AFOS PIL and LDM 5.0.0 was not. I
think the current version is. I know it is, because when my test site went
from 5.0.0 to 5.0.6, poof! At precisely 10 Am when he switched it over, it
disappeared. And all was working fine until he did that. Now, only certain
AFOS PILs...with the WMO headers under the AFOS PIL...still work.
The others do not.

Hmmm. I hope this helps explain my dilemma...I don't know why that
happened. But it stinks now because I cannot do the naming convention
my text display software could handle, which means that I'd have to spend
the next month redoing. If it means that, fine...but if it's a simple
coding change...I'd rather that happen than rewrite everything.

Gilbert

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                ***