Re: 19991103: Running LDM on Irix 6.5

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Erick Lorenz wrote:

> `I would check that the ldm has permission to write in the output
> `directories.  Make sure you are user ldm when checking.  If everything
> `appears to be correct, execute the pqact entry that's failing on the
> `command line in the LDMHOME directory. This usually this shows the error
> `immediately.
>
> Robb:
>
> I logged in as ldm created a new file in  /home/data/mcidas which is
> where all the decoded files are written.
>
> Checking pqact.conf the following two commands are dying.
>
> DDPLUS|IDS      ^.*     PIPE
>         xcd_run DDS
> HRS     ^.*     PIPE
>         xcd_run HRS
>
> Since no processes related to xcd are running I tried both:
>
>       % xcd_run DDS
> and
>       % xcd_run HRS

Erick,

If you run a decoder on the command line, one needs to send the decoder
input or it just exits immediately, ie.

% xcd_run DDS < "some raw DDS files"

> In each case I got my prompt back immediatly, there were no error messages
> on the screen, and a ps -ef found no processes related to xcd. There are
> no new error messages in ldmd.logs
>
> Nov 04 21:36:10 5Q:atm12 pqact[701732]: child 702340 exited with status 1
> Nov 04 21:36:10 5Q:atm12 pqact[701732]: child 702361 exited with status 1
> Nov 04 21:36:10 3Q:atm12 pqact[701732]: pbuf_flush (4) write: Broken pipe
> Nov 04 21:36:10 3Q:atm12 pqact[701732]: pipe_dbufput: xcd_runDDS write error
>
> I also checked $MCDATA/XCD_START.LOG and found numerous entries like:
>
> Starting DDS at 99308.214430
> ingetext.k: Cannot make positive UC: could not create 384300-byte shared
> memory segment
> Starting HRS at 99308.214433
> ingebin.k: Cannot make positive UC: could not create 384300-byte shared
> memory segment

This is the main problem, since I don't do McIdas support, I looked up the
errors in the archives. It suggests configurating shared memory using the
instruction at:

The problem you are now reporting is discussed in:

Unidata McIDAS-X HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/index.html
  Initial Preparations
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/prepare_mcx.html
    Preparing the Workstation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/workstation.html
      Shared Memory

"McIDAS-X 7.x uses shared memory for a variety of tasks including frame
allocation. By default, the shared memory facility is activated and should
have
sufficient maximum segment size on HP, IBM and SGI systems. However, this
is
not true for Sun systems running Solaris 2.x or Digital systems running
OSF/1.
On Linux systems, the amount of available shared memory appears to be the
same as the combination of physical RAM and swap."

Also, the ldm might not have the permission to create/use shared memory
that could cause the write error.

Robb...