Re: 20000503: LDM 5 on Red Ha

Hi Matt,

Thanks for all the info.  I've tried to respond to each of your points below.

Matt Roberts wrote:

> Anne,
>
> The output of the command you specified is below:
>
>    $ pqcreate -v -c -s 100000000
>    Creating /usr/local/ldm/data/ldm.pq, 100000000 bytes.
>    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>    $
>
> This occurs with *every* run of this command, regardless of the size of
> the queue requested.  I tried everything from 1M to 1G--no dice.  I even
> removed the old pq files and tried again, with no luck.  Same output.
> The entire system is on one Linux native partition, logs, data, queue,
> everything.  We will eventually move the data to a second drive, but just
> to get up and running, we have 6G which will be good for a little while.
> :)

Please see below.

> As for the permissions on hupsyslog and rpc.ldmd, I did run the make
> install and make install_setuids as per the doco, but the uid and suid you
> spoke of were not set.  The permissions of the files in the ~/bin
> directory now look like this:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 afos -> pqing
> -rw-------   1 ldm      ldm      46972928 May  3 09:42 core
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 ddplus -> pqing
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 dds -> pqing
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         61978 May  3 09:18 feedme
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 feedtest -> pqing
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 hds -> pqing
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 hrs -> pqing
> -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     ldm         12613 May  3 09:18 hupsyslog
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 ids -> pqing
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         23352 May  3 09:42 ldmadmin
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         23617 May  3 09:18 ldmcheck
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm          7262 May  3 09:18 ldmfail
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         59245 May  3 09:18 ldmping
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm          6799 May  3 09:18 ldmprods
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         52020 May  3 09:18 ldmsend
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm          4895 May  3 09:18 mailpqstats
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm          9002 May  3 09:18 netcheck
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm           518 May  3 09:18 newlog
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         61088 May  3 09:18 notifyme
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 pps -> pqing
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm        112088 May  3 09:18 pqact
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         89634 May  3 09:18 pqbinstats
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         87532 May  3 09:18 pqcat
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         80529 May  3 09:18 pqcreate
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         85596 May  3 09:18 pqexpire
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm        117964 May  3 09:18 pqing
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm         85345 May  3 09:18 pqinsert
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm        104028 May  3 09:18 pqsend
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm        103033 May  3 09:18 pqsurf
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm        102569 May  3 09:18 pqutil
> -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     ldm        145723 May  3 09:18 rpc.ldmd
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm          3430 May  3 09:18 scour
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 ldm      ldm          7389 May  3 09:18 syscheck
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 ldm      ldm             5 May  3 09:18 afos -> pqing
>
> Is that more what the doco had in mind? :)  I considered recompiling the
> software, however none of it was complied with any ridiculous
> optimizations or anything like that.  I simply did ./configure and the
> make... commands.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Roberts

I assume you mean ~ldm/bin.  Yes, this is how it is supposed to look (except
for that pesky core file!).

> Matt Roberts wrote:

> Anne,

> I rebuilt LDM with the latest releast compiler (pgcc-2.95.3) and the same
> problem persists.  I've been using this compiler on other systems for
> months and it is very stable.  I did this just to see if I might be having
> a compiler problem.  It does not appear to be so.
>
> I still see a core dump when I try to create the product queue.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Roberts
> OSU Geography

I have the same configuration that you do: Red Hat Linux V6.1, with a 2.2.x
kernal.   I have successfully built an LDM on my machine several times.

We do not support pgcc.   I assume your Linux box has gcc - I suggest using
that. (That's what I used.)

To recompile from scratch and start completely over with a new
configuration,  do a 'make clean' then be sure to remove the files
config.cache, config.log and config.status, then do 'configure' over again.

Matt Roberts wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Also, just one note:  please consult this page:
>
>    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmSourceInstallList.html
>
> This is the apge that I used to build the LDM.  If I do:
>
>    make install
>    make install_setuids
>
> as the doco suggests, the owner and SUID bits on the two files will not be
> set appropriately.  I checked the Makefile output of the LDM source, and
> the install_setuids sets the SUID and owner values on the source files,
> not on already installed files.  So I did the above two commands in
> reverse order:
>
>    make install_setuids
>    make install
>
> and it worked just fine.
>
> Just thought you might like to know.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

What are you saying here?  The 'install' target in the Makefiles in the
'server' directory copies the rpc.ldmd executable to the bin directory, then
the 'install_setuids' target changes the ownership and permissions on that
executable that must exist at that time in the bin directory.    Similar for
hupsyslog in the ulog directory.  If I'm missing something, please let me
know.  However, these instructions have worked many many times for us.

Btw, which 'make' are you using?  Again, on my machine I use GNU make.

Good luck.  Please let me know your results.

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307