Re: 20010223: LDM for two computers

Bunny Pfau wrote:

> -> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:04:07 -0700
> -> From: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>
> -> To: Bunny Pfau <address@hidden>
> -> CC: address@hidden
> -> Subject: Re: 20010223: LDM for two computers
> ->
> -> Unidata Support wrote:
> -> >

Hi Bunny,

I thought about it and also asked a coworker who is knowledgable about
the LDM, and we thought your plan sounded fine.  It certainly makes
sense to maintain only one set of binaries to run two LDMs.  The only
hard constraint is that the queue must be local, but it sounds like
you're going to make everything local but the binaries.

For ease in upgrading, I would try to keep as close as possible to our
default directory structure:

   bin -> runtime/bin/          # for you, this will be remote
   data -> /var/data/ldm        # 'data' must local - the queue goes
here
                                # otherwise you can make 'data' point anywhere
   decoders/
   src -> runtime/src/          # needed for source installation
   etc/                         # your conf files go here
   include -> runtime/include/
   lib -> runtime/lib/
   logs -> data/logs/
   man -> runtime/man/
   util/

The directories that will updated when you upgrade will be bin, src (if
you do a source installation), include, lib, and man.  The etc, logs,
decoders, and util directories are for things that are local to your
installation.  (Maybe you already know this.)

I guess my only question would be: what precisely is your concern
regarding remotely mounted file systems?  People write data to such file
systems all the time, although it's a little slower.  If reliability is
an issue, then you're going to face that same problem if your using
binaries that are remotely mounted.

Otherwise, I can't see any problems with your plan.  I'm interested in
seeing you do it just to see how it goes.  Will you keep me posted?

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307