Re: 20010227: LDM Question

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Bruce,

When box #1 gets the data, it is put into the queue.  The queue is a
memory mapped file.  That means that it resides both on the disk and in
memory.  So when you're writing to the queue, you're also writing to the
disk.  And, when you're reading from the queue you may be reading from
the disk if that particular page doesn't happen to be in memory at that
time.  So, a write from the queue always involves disk I/O, and a read
from the queue, e.g., a request from box #2, may involve disk I/O.
(Note that this is not the same as filing data to the disk, which
involves further I/O.)

Does this answer your question?

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307