Re: upstream ldm server name change

Local Data Manager wrote:

> Dear Anne,
>
> I wonder if you would mind taking a look at the
> ldm on windfall.  I got a note from Art Person
> indicating a name change on what I thought was
> our primary host.  I will send a copy of this
> message to you in a minute.  Art says they are
> changing from navierldm.meteo.psu.edu to ldm.meteo.psu.edu.
> This confuses me, because I don't think there is
> any reference to a machine called navierldm in
> our request lines.  I only see navier.  I looked at
> the conf files in the /etc directory under the ldm
> user.  I think this is the right place to look.
> But I found that I have ldmd.machinename.conf
> files for a different set of machines than I have
> listed in the lines of who we accept data from
> (as primary and failover):
>
> #following text added to accept data from primary and failover
> sites.
>
> accept UNIDATA   .*     ^navier.meteo.psu.edu
> accept UNIDATA   .*     ^ic1q01.cod.edu
> accept UNIDATA   .*     ^blueskies.sprl.umich.edu
>
> Of the machines listed above, I only have ldmd...conf
> files for navier and blueskies.
>
> Could you verify that I am looking in the right
> place to make the necessary changes?
>
> I have been pretty consumed of late, so I really
> appreciate your taking a look at this if you
> have a chance.
>
> Jennie

Ack! Jennie, I thought I sent this about 10:00 this morning!

----

Hi Jennie,

It's a pleasure to be able to help!

You were indeed looking in the right place.  In ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf I
just changed the entries specifying navier.meteo.psu.edu to
ldm.meteo.psu.edu.  I believe that PSU used two names for that machine -
navier and navierldm.  We discussed that here some time ago because we
were also confused by it.  Anyway, you're feeding from the new machine
now.

However, the important lines in the file are not the 'accept' lines, but
the 'request' lines.  Those are the lines that get you the feed.

Truthfully, I'm a little puzzled about 'accept' lines because I was
surprised to hear that one of my coworkers, who is knowledgable about
the LDM, feels that the 'accept' lines help in some way.  My
understanding is that the 'accept' lines are necessary only when someone
wants to 'pqsend' you a product, which is different than requesting an
entire feed.  I used my time on windfall as an opportunity to test my
understanding - I commented out the 'accept' for ldm.meteo.psu.edu, and
the data seems to be coming in fine.  If you notice a problem please let
me know.

Regarding your various ldmd.conf files - you need to have one for your
primary feed and one for your failover.  In looking at our list of feeds
and failovers, we had you listed as feeding from DuPage and failing over
to Cornell.  We've changed that now to reflect that you're feeding from
Penn State and failing over to Wisconsin, based on your current
configuration.  (I guess DuPage is out of your picture now.)  So, you
only need ldmd.ldm.meteo.psu.edu and ldm.sunset.wisc.edu.    I've
modified those files, changing navier.meteo to ldm.meteo where
appropriate.  I also modified the script ldmfailWrapper that I made for
you to get the failover to work properly.  You still have an extra
failover conf file called ldmd.blueskies.sprl.umich.edu - I'll just let
that be.

I am off to an appointment, and will address your next question when I
get back.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307