Re: 20010806: feedtypes question for non-standard data

chris calvert wrote:

> > I don't know what feed types other entities are using.  Basically, they
> > could use whatever feed types they want as long as they don't inject
> > that data in our network and thus confuse things.
>
> So in other words, if we're all leaf nodes, then it doesn't really matter
> what feed type we use?

Yes - you can insert products into your queue under any feed type and as
long as you don't have any 'allow's on your host to propagate that feed
type to other IDD sites then you won't be adding unusual products to the
feed.  But, please be very careful about that - this is something you'll
need to keep on top of over time and document for others who maintain
the server after you're gone.  If you were to introduce unexpected
products into the feed it could adversely affect other sites.  It would
help to give the products non-standard names, so "typical" patterns
won't match.

> > Are you indeed participating in the IDD?  How long do you intend to
> > propagate these products?
>
> Yes. We get CRAFT level 2 radar data and use it in a precip algorithm. I
> was contemplating using LDM as a vehicle to move our derived precip files
> from one location to another. We're all leaf nodes.
>
> Chris

Would you please describe the topology further for me?  How many
machines we talking about, and who feeds from whom?

Anne

                                  Boulder, CO  80307