Re: 20010829: LDM install

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Tim,

Nah, no problem, blast away!!  I'll listen for the explosion.

Nothing in any distribution depends on anything in a previous
distribution.  I assume you mean that you're going to keep the same
'ldm' user account.  I assume your .cshrc will remain the same (assuming
you use csh).  The syslog configuration, cron jobs, and any boot scripts
would remain the same.

The directories that are "localized" are the etc, util, and decoders
directories.  I would set those aside and reinstall them under the new
installation.   That way, you'll preserve any failover and scour config
files under etc plus whatever else might have been installed in those
directories.

The data and logs directories are links to elsewhere, so if you remove
the links you'll just remake them under the new installation.  Thus, the
contents of those directories will be preserved.  If you knew your queue
was still good, it would be preserved.  Very few upgrades require
building a new queue, so this could be useful if you have a very large
queue.  In your case, however, I'd blow away the queue and make a new
one.

That leaves just the bin, src, lib, include, and man directories, and
they all come with the distribution.

You might want to set aside your most recent version of ldmadmin so that
you can configure the new version with your current queue size, or
migrate any other changes that might have been made.  That's the one
executable that folks tend to modify.

You might want to scan through the preinstallation instructions:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html to see
if there's anything else to consider.  Then, you can always use the
installation instructions, and setup instructions to guide you.  They're
available from the LDM home page:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/index.html

Really, it should be pretty simple.  Good luck.  If you have problems
let me know.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307