Re: [ldm-users] [External] Re: [mcidas-x] Concerns about the future of UNIDATA

  • To: Stonie Cooper <cooper@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] [External] Re: [mcidas-x] Concerns about the future of UNIDATA
  • From: "Sebenste, Gilbert" <sebensteg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2024 20:57:47 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=cod.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=cod.edu; dkim=pass header.d=cod.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=wXWT6PxmfNZIWcsmprAJZyDMZWHyEeI7xG0uI9MzDys=; b=afQLaba0qUXGgGHMM4kKZKR5QCdnKs0c/ZuzW/1SypZrMRCzOn/uE0E9KqSXS6KcBy4k3Dharlc8liL4qlUm1gV+zZklIveNdVvWlhRdIKDBxJeVFGzDpKkTJ4bqO/sS8G7emF3e6P/oaNvsViehncmEAHb5H7Tri02+SMentaFY+g3Lcc6KSG782lR57EDDcLcVQRqFGXvd6BS4VjKHqZocS7A4VCqKf6+8j7Jh+Rwg0hRtT3daUVb7oLf+Hda1zbvf0BRopc7Yb1jZ7diBk9zNlTj18fln9wmCbLJjuwGNZXsvu/xm4SRkfxNsgvdiDXSXg/Kylcl9mxmPayfuOg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=TcKJ7dEmkXBhdyglUu1Xo1fXXxkrJMLinaMiW7I5ImqRxf8Q5KE46Es7x9jlRUvr5ZsFehKqQ6vIIM8Y5ol5oXqPgOrfS1S0H8PHBloREYjjFyR9nS4Br9BB9szdrs3H+htiC+nU+PSCVrEleShZ3Pe7RWW9ZHkDFtTPz29P3IWSf3zAtiMgHzNYTcU0/S/rJ16VFRBS9EdyKdSHqa5E/xFpgmxk/UePO8PmGBgtN+xW068Y7v25fPxEMb6FSv4JBaWelnZqgRnIv2cD1GKnFg5YLbDv2oXJ6E2o5tHvdowvv5VcORgDNhzXS3PCvZs1fb8K1h3CJTx6L84t2vInOA==
Thank you, Stonie. However, this misunderstanding occurred because of a major
change in how the LDM is being updated, enhanced, and modified without any
prior notification of this change, or any input from the university community.

And this is entirely my point: if there are going to be significant changes in
software or protocols, we need to know and understand why something is to be
changed, and with input and feedback from the UNIDATA community. This is an
attitude that starts at the top, not just with you. It should not have taken
two emails that were quite unprofessional to know what is happening nearly a
year after the fact on one aspect of UNIDATA’s software efforts. And as Mike
Zuranski pointed out, the fact that there has been no communication from the
top…other than “here’s a summary of what we’re doing this right now” in monthly
newsletters is anything but good for this community. As others have expressed,
this is very disappointing…and colleges and Universities are being left not on
the sidelines, but on the outside of the stadium trying to listening to the PA
system to know what the score is. That simply is not how UNIDATA is designed to
be, regardless of staff size.

Since others have noted this has gone on for years, where is the UNIDATA
leadership on this? What is the Users Committee doing now about this?

Gilbert Sebenste
Meteorology Support Analyst