[noaaport] Sneak peek: phase 2 and phase 3 changes coming to the SBN / NOAAport broadcast

  • To: "ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NOAAPORT <noaaport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [noaaport] Sneak peek: phase 2 and phase 3 changes coming to the SBN / NOAAport broadcast
  • From: "Sebenste, Gilbert" <sebensteg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 15:27:04 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=cod.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=cod.edu; dkim=pass header.d=cod.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=YA08A7GCrhHugkbhkDx2FADtt9mW4IOci8rQ/SvluCA=; b=yN9RUfGuw8xRu+RCKPkYO2L8cdlJlz82fGtsI75WDnJ/gb7gyD5UyDrwKjckv6+UnHfhTsiyy2+m0OoNkUY22mdKfF5W363m53f4v9rgX/ZOkjXH7KdeSb/nCdEAUlzeHcOuUVxO1vjvZfB9SMtPVn/bc0kzvZX9mvMGC3oTvs5KWozL9Aq/VhB/bl/A/xlIoXAoBriX7GHDdpjrqQc/ywbtdqXY8GBc44b7cVn1w73gY92Obb6Icsk5ZVaqzLusA+RpBsBd7jmsFbQF9E3OutrOtureaH++jrjLLfght8kslqPRWIetxDA+Wy28yepMyMK5X4Yws5etg3T1u8EN5w==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=D5UIyGqWbO5WwGRz/m4Qdovwch8q8FKwXZgVB2UZLffadpylrVRp7LXmYJ173onumBg6ffY7nFXnlCvG3eR6yDdMeLBTZA330pT9/tlFq2yIQB3Xaqoi8YmyrFJqNszzuxniEfddE9K8ey/2mHoaS2x6qSGmhuf6OwE0ptPPekidloEhnrtkMrZj/3/WJdK9Wzss4OSciByJGvuE1ELy8mPy4POPWnoaGFAYyx8UtulfATrwBf87F2ctVIVi/u/gKQlSIjhF/H9K5tapdgfAn6D6MHrUoLDUpJBlXAIbrU7zh4i4z3CFRXqv3cbydtFQKheXHeRUHDucGu9nwAlN7A==
Good morning UNIDATA folks,

As Mike Zuranski has been updating us on the Phase 1 changes of the
SBN/NOAAport broadcast, it was noted in the SCN that there will be

more changes in phases coming to optimize the broadcast.

As it turns out, there will be more changes coming in 2 phases. I emailed one
of the contacts at the bottom of the SCN to see if I could get a

"sneak peek" of the upcoming phases to see if I need to do something to prepare
for those. Here is what I was told about these

2 upcoming phases:

Phase 1: Happening on August 5, documented very well by Mike on these lists .

Phase 2: Restore the border Canadian Radars back to the SBN in the same
location as all other radar data on the SBN.
Timeline not yet known.

Phase 3: Create a new "Radar" Channel (using an existing channel that is no
longer used) and move all Radar Data to that channel.

This includes: WSR-88D, TDWR, MRMS and NHC P-Surge products.  This channel will
have a priority just below the highest priority channel,

thus further ensuring no delays to NWS WWA products.  There will also be a
minor change to move the data on the EXP channel

(GOES East/West derived products) to the NMC3 channel. Timeline not yet known.

And there it is. You now know as much as I do. What changes will be required?
For Phase 2, if you want that Canadian radar data, you may

have to adjust your ldmd.conf if you aren't getting the NEXRAD3 feed; you may
need to add pqact entries if you want to plot out said data locally.

For the phase 3 changes, we'll have to wait and see.

Gilbert Sebenste
Meteorology Support Analyst

[cid:image001.png@01DAD37C.084424E0]

PNG image