[thredds] Setting up a production THREDDS server

  • To: "thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thredds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [thredds] Setting up a production THREDDS server
  • From: "Fluke,James" <James.Fluke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:46:52 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=colostate.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=colostate.edu; dkim=pass header.d=colostate.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=Smu1VHzUf5w3wV91P/Z4ZmCFAepeifQwTRsTaJpMboc=; b=CwAdc5RbybAmJWPdrw83TNOiBtVGm1Zha58n35G+QheNFDMpSkWSge/dTzswovOKIWm9MkIMwl71PKfthoZckiiZDOSrTtI7AlYOT0Umq3gacSmxvFsoUbxJ7xGNLTlevLJA9DHIkJnKfrrjQNuzLAlbggQML9IHSWE4jSyLb0M1oCzVrkjsr4+EMQnKdg+c/+hPNYwuPVWMqkR2plm1n6IqGwUn6YCorpJ4iQhxDSoHEC818jMUohtCnfbPpIW0rAEBSw9qC3cY98hqw1xr6196+lAyzQBZtFV7bGrFYTm70PyS3Ni4CfKyy/5TDysZbeIAYOGJ28DXs4OU4q3mWA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=CuW3dq6TOmZexj2RVfEqk5vJ2VpczoKzxXnWWoDvd9gVtxxrjbhd16lLpUZXpDxWiIq+/qGyYAaFtkZmzJWMHG41L2RIjw85sJeaC3jRFtY75hHDI45Vxg1fxIemZZi6qns6t9c9HOsnpqzBJ19POVHgNbNI8SwjSo1jI8J9EAYZXHorEXLgVFHR2Ev2kX0UPgAMO3IEKSxIMg+7xZY9v37+xgbDht8EhR1vSBAkvPdGRRYS5shgyYky1JJzRq2Zer5D/grnonsKcUlMGqEo+9LMMdKklQiCRrXwIFD2aq9fWoDiZS159JBZM6CAjRFLajsExMwFuaBYZNZiLL/VkQ==
Hello,

Here at the CloudSat Data Processing Center, we would like to set up a THREDDS
server to serve the publicly available CloudSat data files. Our main website is
here<https://www.cloudsat.cira.colostate.edu/>.

So far, we have successfully used the unidata/thredds-docker:5.4 Docker image
to serve a small subset of our data files by mounting a test directory tree to
/usr/local/tomcat/content/thredds/public/data in the container according to the
instructions, but we doubt the default configuration in the image specifies the
resource usage needed for our entire data set.

We would like to continue using the Docker image for setting up the production
server, but we could definitely use some help with the configuration. We have a
idea of which configuration files to look at from the documentation, but some
examples of other groups production configuration would be very helpful. And of
course, we could also use help with authentication, which we would like to keep
to username/password for simplicity.

For production, we would be serving 1400358 files in 88147 directories - these
are the low level directories that contain the files. Most of the files are
HDF-EOS format which THREDDS can clearly read. At least the OPenDAP server can,
and that is probably all we need to get started.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jim Fluke
Research Associate III
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA)
Colorado State University
James.Fluke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:James.Fluke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(970) 491-8990