[eLearning #JAL-262410]: Cannot run Python-AWIPS on Windows Machine

Hi there,

> I am trying to get access to Python-AWIPS and have successful downloaded it
> and set up the
> conda environment as outlined in the installation instructions. I can open
> the Jupyter
> Notebooks, but when I try and run "from awips.dataaccess import
> DataAccessLayer" I always
> get an error saying "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pwd'". Based on my
> attempts to
> troubleshoot, I am guessing that this has to do with the fact that I am using
> Windows 10
> and 'pwd' is a Unix only module. Is there any workaround for this on a
> Windows machine?
>
> Thanks for your time and assistance,

I believe I just responded to your colleague about the same issue.  You are
correct, the pwd
package is not supported on Windows.
Simply remove references to pwd in the awips code and it should run.  I can't
see the path of
where your files live (but it will be printed out in the error you are seeing).

Remove the lines that reference pwd. Remove or comment out the applicable lines
in the following
classes:

...\dynamicserialize\dstypes\com\raytheon\uf\common\message\WsId.py
...\dynamicserialize\dstypes\com\raytheon\uf\common\auth\user\UserId.py

Let me know if that makes sense?
Thanks!
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: JAL-262410
Department: Support eLearning
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.