[McIDAS #DFM-438704]: Status of GOES-19 support in McIDAS

Greetings,

> Hello Mike,
>
> What is the status of McIDAS supporting GOES-U (soon to be GOES-19)? The
> current timeline is for GOES-19 to go "live" in mid-2025, replacing GOES-16.
>
> https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaas-goes-u-heads-to-orbit-for-historic-mission

Great question.  As of version 2021, support for GOES-19 should be included:
https://docs.unidata.ucar.edu/mcidas/2021/release_notes.html

The GOES-19 data would be almost identical to the others from the GOES-R series
so I'm optimistic that all of the preparations are already there.  The only
thing that should be unique is the satellite ID, which the above changelog
gives me confidence has been addressed.

Ultimately I think this will be one of those things where we'll have to wait
and see.  The currently available Unidata McIDAS-X is version 2022, version
2023 is being worked on and will be the final Unidata release.  I do not have a
timeline on that, I'll see if I can get an update there, but again it sure
seems like the needs for GOES-19 have already been accounted for by v2022.

In short: I think we'll be okay.

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: DFM-438704
Department: Support McIDAS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.