[netCDF #WLQ-440583]: NetCDF for Cygwin

Hello,

Can you provide more information regarding the issue you are seeing when
building the library under Cygwin? While it's true that you cannot build hdf5
as shared libraries, it isn't necessary to; a static hdf5 library will work
just fine.  I've tested this on my Cygwin instance using hdf5 version 1.8.14
and the recent netcdf 4.3.3-rc3 release.  This version also supports DAP.

Regarding the pre-built libraries; it was my understanding that they provided
DAP support with the pre-built libraries; I will double check this and, if
necessary, update the webpage.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

-Ward

> Your webpage (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html)
> says, "For developers using MSYS/MinGW or Cygwin, you may build netCDF-C
> using the Linux/Unix build instructions.. For complex builds that include
> netCDF-4 and/or DAP support this may prove tricky, as it is time consuming
> to collect all of the dependencies. In these cases it may be easier to use
> the pre-built netcdf packages provided by the MSYS and Cygwin environments."
>
> There are two problems with those statements:
>
> - In fact, using the Linux/Unix build instructions does not work,
> because the HDF5 package cannot produce shared libraries in Cygwin. I tried
> many times, using different configuration options, until I finally found a
> webpage that says it's not possible.
> - The third sentence above is not clear: Does it mean that the netcdf
> package that is delivered with Cygwin does have DAP capability?
>
> If you have time, I would appreciate clarification.
>
> Thanks

> *Paul H. Harder II, Ph.D., AMS* / Senior Software Engineer, Meteorologist
> Information Management Services / Flight Services Engineering
> 2925 Briarpark Dr., 7th Floor, Houston, TX 77042
> Phone: 713-430-7081 / Mobile: 281-793-7743 / Fax: 713-430-7074
> address@hidden <address@hidden>

Ticket ID: WLQ-440583
Department: Support netCDF